Anthem Blue Distinction Centers Plus (BDC+) and Health Base Travel Benefit
CVT Anthem PPO members MUST use Anthem’s Blue Distinction+ Center for hip replacement, knee replacement and spinal surgeries. If you do not have your surgery at a Blue Distinction+ Center, your plan will not cover the procedure.
For a specific list of hip, knee and spine procedures that are part of the program or to request assistance obtaining a list of surgeons affiliated with the Blue Distinction+ Hospitals, please call Anthem Customer Service at (800) 234-4333.
If there is no Blue Distinction+ Center within 50 miles from where you live, a travel benefit is available to you. Anthem Customer Service can also connect you to the travel benefit concierge, if applicable.
For a list of approved facilities:
Important: The lists of approved facilities are subject to change. Check back periodically for the most current information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are members required to use a Blue Distinction+ Center for hip, knee and spine surgery?
Yes. CVT PPO members must use a Blue Distinction+ Center for hip replacement, knee replacement, and spinal surgeries. If you do not have your surgery at a Blue Distinction+ Center, your CVT plan will not cover the procedure.
What is a Blue Distinction+ Center?
The Blue Distinction+ Centers have been designated by the national Blue Cross Blue Shield Association due to their proven track record of providing excellent care, with faster recovery times at a lower cost.
- Are known for the expertise of their health care team.
- Have done certain procedures more times than other hospitals.
- Have a proven history of providing better treatment results with fewer complications than other health care facilities.
- Are recognized for offering greater savings.
How can I find a surgeon who practices at the Blue Distinction+ Hospital?
If you need help finding a surgeon who practices at a Blue Distinction+ hospital, you may want to ask your primary care doctor or orthopedic specialist to assist you. There is also often an Orthopedic Program Director at each Blue Distinction+ hospital who can assist you with finding surgeons that are part of their program, as well as provide you detailed information about what their program offers. Or, you may contact Anthem Blue Cross Customer Service at (800) 234-4333 and request assistance obtaining a list of surgeons affiliated with the Blue Distinction+ Hospitals.
How can I get a list of the Hospitals in California that have a Blue Distinction+ Program?
- Click on the links above for lists of approved facilities.
- Contact Anthem Blue Cross Customer Service at (800) 234-4333 and request a listing.
- You may also log in to anthem.com/ca; choose Menu; Under Care select Find a Doctor; Choose Continue as Guest; Complete the questions and hit Continue. Tip: When selecting a plan/network, choose Blue Cross PPO – Prudent Buyer – Large Group”. Choose from the drop down that you want to search “Hospitals and Facilities”, then Select “All Specialties” and include the City, State and Zip code (for better results, set your search radius to 50 miles). Click on Search,choose Recognition/Awards shown on the screen and then select Knee and Hip Replacement or Spine Surgery, to search for Blue Distinction+ facilities.
These lists are subject to change. Please check back periodically for the most current information.
What is the Blue Distinction+ travel benefit?
If there is no Blue Distinction+ center within 50 miles from where you live, a travel benefit is available to you. It pays for travel for the patient and a companion. It also includes a concierge service provided by Healthbase that coordinates with both the patient and the medical provider. Anthem Customer Service can connect you with Healthbase, should you have any questions regarding the CVT Travel Benefit. Healthbase can help with travel arrangements, scheduling appointments, and provide support in obtaining medical records.
If there is not a Blue Distinction+ Hospital within 50 miles of your home address, you can select any Blue Distinction+ Hospital in California. If you choose the Blue Distinction+ Hospital closest to you, you are more likely to be able to stay within the travel benefits provided by your plan.
If there is a Blue Distinction+ Hospital within 50 miles of your home, and you choose a Blue Distinction+ hospital outside of the 50 mile radius, travel benefits are not covered by your CVT plan.
Who can use the Blue Distinction+ travel benefit?
Active employees, retirees under age 65 (without Medicare) and members on COBRA can use the Blue Distinction+ travel benefit.
Who do I call for additional information?
To learn more, call Anthem Customer Service at (800) 234-4333. If you are planning to have a hip or knee replacement or spinal surgery a customer service representative can help explain your benefits.